Storage Calorifier Design For Domestic Water Heating System Onboard PKR Ship

Fadilah, Lusi (2017) Storage Calorifier Design For Domestic Water Heating System Onboard PKR Ship. Undergraduate thesis, Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember.

[img]
Preview
Text
4213101001-Undergraduate_Theses.pdf - Published Version

Download (15MB) | Preview

Abstract

Air pollution is the main cause of global warming effect that is a main issue nowaday in the modern era. Today almost all goods are transported via sea by using ships worldwide. Diesel engine is used mostly as their prime mover. Among all types of vehicles in the world, ship is the the biggest producer of air pollution based on the quantity of fuel consumption. According to MARPOL 73/78 Annex VI, air pollution must be prevented either by utilizing exhaust gas from the engine Thermodynamically and mechanically, the maximum efficiency of diesel engine is around 60%. While the rest 40% remains as wasted heat, and approximately 25-30% of it is in the form of exhaust gas. There are possibilities to reuse this heat for certain system on the ship. In this study, storage calorifier is studied as the part of wasted heat recovery system. The aim of this study is to design storage calorifier on board PKR (perusak kawal rudal) ship, and to conduct technical studies on the designed domestic system. The methodology that is used is thermodynamic calculation based design and software based design using HTRI Software. The results will be compared to determine the performance of the system and then used to acquire the economic analysis from saving fuel oil of auxiliary engine. One of the final results is comparison between software based and calculation based design, with the obtained over design is 6.13 %. Heat Exchanger Research Inc. (HTRI) 6.0 the results obtained are not too much difference. From calculation based design, the obtained area is 640.076 ft2 while the obtained area of software based design is 494,406 ft2 . For Overall Coeeficient from manual calculation be obtained 6.5 btu/ft2.h.F and from HTRI software is 6.96 btu/ft2.h.F. For over design from calculation manual and htri software is 6.13 %. The economic analysis results that is after using the storage calorifier, fuel consumption of auxilary engine at 50%MCR can save 139659 liter/years.

Item Type: Thesis (Undergraduate)
Uncontrolled Keywords: Air pollution; Waste Heat Recovery; Storage Calorifier; Calculation based design; software based design; Economic Analysis.
Subjects: T Technology > T Technology (General)
V Naval Science > VM Naval architecture. Shipbuilding. Marine engineering > VM731 Marine Engines
Divisions: Faculty of Marine Technology > Marine Engineering > (S1) Undergraduate Theses
Depositing User: - LUSI FADILAH
Date Deposited: 21 Mar 2017 09:02
Last Modified: 21 Mar 2017 09:02
URI: http://repository.its.ac.id/id/eprint/2727

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item